Do Artists and Art Professionals Need Special Insurance?

Whether you’re an artist, a maker or any other creative freelancer or individual working in the creative industry, public liability insurance is one of the most important investments you can make. Today, we’re taking a look at reasons for getting covered and how you can go about doing so.

Public Liability Insurance for Beginners

Accidents happen, and despite everyone’s best efforts to make your public activities risk-free, things can go wrong. You could easily end up being handed a weighty compensation or legal bill if your activities and events result in a client, contractor or member of the public getting injured, or someone’s private property becoming damaged. If a mishap like that occurs, public liability insurance can go a long way to protect you against these costs.

Put simply, it’s your responsibility to ensure that the public are presented with a safe environment whenever you undertake any form of artistic activity.

Should I Get the Insurance?

Because accidents can and will happen whatever you do, it’s necessary for almost every art professional or freelance artist to invest in some form of Public Liability Insurance.

If you’re trying to decide if this includes you, ask yourself: Are you always completely isolated when you work? Or do you invite people to your studio or home studio, visit clients at their premises, handle other people’s possessions, deliver workshops or talks or show your work in public places?

If you fall into the second category, you’re liable for any damage you cause to someone else’s property – even accidentally – and public liability cover may be the only way to go.

What Will Public Liability Insurance Do for Me?

Your duty of care to members of the general public attending your events means you need to keep them as safe as possible through things like health and safety tests and risk assessments. If even just for your peace of mind, you need to know that you’ll be able to provide compensation should any of your activities result in someone else being injured or having possessions damaged.

If you find yourself liable for an incident at one of your activities, you don’t want a lack of insurance to put your livelihood and the public’s health at risk.

Am I Legally Required to Have This Insurance?

You’re not going to get fined or thrown in prison for choosing not to have public liability insurance. This isn’t a mandatory investment, it’s just a smart one.

You can work as an artist and run your business without getting this cover, but it’s generally recommended that you do have it. It’ll offer you some peace of mind, and make your business look more professional. It’s always best to avoid ending up in disputes with people over injuries and damaged property – if you’re able to deal with these problems quickly and professionally it’ll be much better for everyone.

It’s best to get insured so your insurer can deal with the legalities while you get on with your creative work.

What Companies Do We Recommend?

A quick Google search will turn up so many options for Public Liability Insurance – there’s bound to be something out there to suit your needs.

One policy that’s worth considering is a-n Artist Insurance, a £5m Public & Products Liability and £5m Professional Indemnity insurance policy that comes included with every a-n Artist membership. This insurance is tailored specially to the needs of visual and applied artists working in the UK, and is suitable for artists, artist groups, joint artists and arts organisers.

For artists based in Scotland, it’s also a good idea to look at the Scottish Artists Union. They also offer public liability insurance up to £5 million for all paying members, with all policies paid for by the union.

53 views0 comments